Saturday, September 4, 2010

Epic Fail

Week 3, Day 15

To take a term from the younger video game addicted generation. Today was an Epic Fail. I attempted to make my beginner sauce and dressing again today. Through my failure I learned how to fix mistakes that happen along the way. Which I the real point of learning, right?

My first attempt of the day was mayo. It turned out too gloppy. Is that even a word? Anyway, so I needed to add either an acid (lemon) or water to thin it out. Then it became a bit too runny, so I turned to oil to aid in finding the right consistency. Voile! The mixture "broke". An egg can only hold so much liquid after all. Dang!

Let's move on, shall we?

Hollendaise. Today I got out all of my ingredients before I started. I whisked my eggs and vinegar until it formed a ribboney texture, I began to add the butter....and it failed.....ARGH! It was through working with a more experienced classmate I came to find out; if your butter is too hot, or you add it too quickly your sauce will not emulsify. If your water is not hot enough, you take too long adding your fat, or you don't reach the ribbon stage before adding the fat, your sauce will not emulsify. For something so simple there are sure a lot of elements to go wrong.

I tried again, this time with some coaching. End product, hollendaise! Ye-ah! Ye-ah!

I plan to take my newly learned culinary facts and go forth spreading my wisdom of emulsification! Epic Success!?

BTW- as a class today we also made a pretty darn good tomato sauce. See pics below.

Tomato Sauce Stewing
Careful Jeremy, Don't get any on you!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Al! I could NEVER make something that touchy. I'm not very precise at all, kind of throw things in when I cook. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete