Monday, October 11, 2010

Veggietales

Phase 2, Week 3, Day 11

On to vegetables!!!! We had no lecture about veggies, but Chef Kim did demo Green Bean w/ Roasted Red Pepper Saute, Brussles Sprouts Paysanne, Carrots Vichy, and Eggplant Parmigiana. All of which were different cooking methods for vegetables; Saute, roast, poach, fry, and blanch. A lot to cover in one day but we were going to give it a try.

The groups in the night class were also split up to pair weaker students with stronger ones, like ours were during the morning. So I actually worked with another visitor from the mid-day class. We chose to do all of our own prep for the dishes. I truly felt I was on an episode of Chopped. Four complete dishes from pantry to plate in 90 minutes? Plus the carrot recipe required 7 tournes, Good Luck! I mean when in the "industry" are we going to have to make something from start to finish like that? Never. But it's still kind of fun to do it. However, there is a catch 22. If you don't complete each project you may not get a chance to practice it again before the test over the section. So if you take your time and do everything right, you will be missing out on some techniques and may have to do them for the first time for a test. OR you can rush through the projects getting the basic idea and getting some feedback from the instructor and hope you can improve when you have more time...the choice is yours.

I successfully completed the Green Beans, and Eggplant. I dropped my Brussle Sprouts on the ground as I was plating them (really too bad because these were GOOD! No, really. I swear.). My carrots were cooking down when she pulled the plug on them. Wah, Wah.

We did get to start plating the dishes today in this class, although we haven't discussed it much. I believe this will be coming up pretty soon in class. Might as well get some practice in. :0).

Sprouts before they hit the floor.
Green Beans (Haircot Vert)
Eggplant 


No comments:

Post a Comment